In this article we will consider the largest and smallest continent of our planet, and also compare their height above sea level.
Our land is divided into two main spaces. This is the world's oceans or water and land. Water occupies more than 70% of the area or 361.06 million km2. The continents got only 29.3% of the total area or 142.02 million km2. The land is divided into parts that are limited by the seas and oceans from each other.
That is, these are our continents and continents. Each of them has its own size, shape and height above sea level. Therefore, in today's topic we will expand our knowledge and talk about the smallest and largest continents, as well as the lowest and highest continents.
What is the largest and smallest continent of the planet, the lowest and highest continent of the Earth: a brief description
First, remember what the mainland is. Simply put, this is a huge patch of land that is washed by the seas and oceans from all sides. Despite the fact that there is much more water on our planet, large and small continents stand out. There are 6 continents on earth. And do not confuse them with eight parts of the world. Although Oceania is often connected to Australia, this is not the case now. We will list all the continents from the largest to the smallest continent in order to find out important and interesting aspects about them.
Eurasia is a huge continent
- It is he who takes the lead in the title of "largest continent." Giant's area of 54.757 million km2, and this is as much as 36% of all the land of the planet. 5.132 billion people serve as the mainland, and this, by the way, is 70% of all the inhabitants of our planet.
- The mainland is conditionally divided into two parts of the world: Asia and Europe. The eastern slopes of the high Ural mountains are considered the figurative boundary of these segments. Also, the mainland is the only one that is washed immediately by all four oceans.
- Eurasia boasts a variety of landscapes. The highest mountains of the Himalayas and the largest plains can be found on its territory.
- She also holds the championship among the highest mountains in the world - this is the famous Mount Jomolungma, which is no longer equal.
- Other celebrities complement the list of distinguished features. For example, Lake Baikal is the deepest in the world, the Caspian Sea is the largest and largest sea, as well as the unique and largest mountain system - Tibet.
- On the mainland there is the influence of all climatic and natural zones, from which the flora and fauna are insanely diverse and rich. The geopolitical map has 102 independent states on this continent.
- But since in parallel we consider the continents also in height above sea level, Eurasia did not reach the primacy. But it is firmly in second place. The height of the continent, which has average readings, is 840 m.
Africa takes the second place of honor in size
- Its total area with adjacent islands is 30.3 million km.2. And this is as much as 20.4% of the entire dry surface of the earth. Africa is a hot continent, which is washed by the Indian and Atlantic oceans, as well as some of the cleanest seas: the Red and Mediterranean.
- This continent is home to 1 billion people. The geopolitical map has 55 independent states. This continent crosses the equator, and has several different climatic zones.
- This continent also has prominent places. Of course, it will be for the hot, dry and largest desert in the world - the Sahara. Kilimanjaro volcano is considered a stratovolcano, which indicates its power. True, at the moment he is in a sleeping state.
- We have already mentioned above that this continent is also the hottest continent on the planet. Therefore, it is the hottest place in the world - the settlement of Dallol in the Danakil desert. By the way, together they are on the list of the most dangerous places. After all, the temperature there sometimes reaches 70 ° C.
- This place is uninhabited by people and animals. But on another square of the continent you can find many animals that we see in the zoo or on television. Yes, these are lions, giraffes, tigers, cheetahs, zebras and other thermophilic creatures.
- The continent is in fourth place above sea level, because the scale shows no more than 650 m.
Mainland North America is third largest
- The area of the mainland, including all islands, is 24.365 million km2 and this is 16% of all land. By the way, sometimes this size is compared with the territory of the former Soviet Union.
- Half a billion people or 7% of the world's population live on the mainland in 23 independent states. Interestingly, they all have their own access to the sea.
- Three different oceans wash this continent with their waters: the Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic oceans. The mainland borders with South America, the water border is the Isthmus of Panama.
- 2 and 23 of the three countries, that is, Canada and the USA are the richest and most prosperous countries in the world, which are included in the first 10 ratings.
- In height above sea level, the mainland rises to the third position after Eurasia. Indications reach 720 m.
Mainland South America occupies almost the last position
- The territory it occupies the continent, accommodates 17.84 million km2. This is equal to 12% of all land. The Pacific and Atlantic oceans wash this territory. The natural frontier that divides the land between America is the Caribbean.
- The geopolitical map has 12 states, on the territory of which about 400 million people live. Conventionally, South America is divided into the mountainous western part and the flat eastern side. A large area is characterized by hot, dry and tropical weather; on the flat part, the temperature never drops below 20 ° C.
- The continent is very rich in fresh water. Indeed, the Amazon River flows through its territory, which is the largest river in the world. It also has the world's highest Angel Falls and the most powerful of the Iguazu Falls.
- Famous is Lake Titicana, which has the largest freshwater reserves in the whole world. The largest countries of the mainland are Brazil and Argentina, which are even among the ten largest countries in the world.
Championship in the title of "highest continent" receives Antarctica
- This is the land of eternal cold and snow. The mainland has an area of 9% or 14.107 million km2, making it the fifth in a row for dimensions. It is also uninhabited, there is only a temporary population of about 5 thousand people. And then, these are polar scientists and research station personnel.
- Antarctica bears the title of the highest continent on earth - more than 2 thousand meters above sea level. On the mainland, everything is covered with ice, including the Antarctic Andes and the Transarctic peaks.
- The Bentley Depression is the deepest point in the world, well below sea level. It sank to 2540 m below sea level.
- Antarctica is also the home of glaciers, here is 90% of the world's ice. And this is 80% of the fresh water supply. There are locals on the mainland - these are seals and penguins.
Earth's smallest and lowest continent - Australia
- The smallest inhabited mainland of the planet Australia 7,659,861 km2. The land is surrounded on all sides by the waters of the seas and oceans. Everything is simple here: one mainland Australia is one state with the same name. And here are beloved kangaroos. But we will talk about this continent in more detail.
- Also, this continent took a place of honor among the lowest continents. After all, Australia rose only 215 m above sea level.
The smallest continent of the planet: its area and role in the world
- Australia bears the title of the smallest continent. The area of this land is 7,659,861 km². If you look at the globe carefully, then on its eastern-southern hemisphere you can see a lonely continent, which is washed from all sides by the waters of salty oceans.
- The northern side borders the Pacific Ocean and two seas: Tasmanov and Coral. The southern and western sides are washed by the Indian Ocean, as well as the Arafus and Timor Seas.
- Two large islands adjoin mainland Australia. New Guinea is an island with an area of 786 thousand km2. This tropical island is home to 660 species of different birds, and still grows mango grove and coconut palms. The island of Tasmania is an Australian state with an area of 68.401 thousand km2, on which rare species of animals still live. For example, the Tasmanian devil.
- Another attraction is the large Coral Reef with a length of about 2 thousand km, which consists of colonial formations of limestone polyps. A natural attraction is home to 1,550 species of fish and a whale shark, huge in size.
- This is a place of pilgrimage for divers who dream of seeing the beautiful world of colorful corals and watching the life of many large and small fish.
- Australia, although surrounded by seas and oceans, is, in fact, a dry continent. Deserts occupy more than 44% of the continent itself or 3.8 thousand. Km2. The greatest mercy are the Great Victoria Desert and the Great Sand Desert. They are characterized by unusual red-sandy dry soils.
- But the most unusual desert can be called the The Pinnacles desert. Literally sounds like a desert of sharp rocks. On its territory there are sharp, free-standing rocks, the height of which is more than 5 meters.
- In total, 7 different deserts are designated on the territory of mainland Australia. There are low mountains on this continent. One of the highest mountains of this continent is Zil, which has 1,511 meters.
- The rivers of the mainland are also not rich. The largest Murray river, 2375 km long. There are lakes, but in summer they are more like swamps. Because they often dry out, because their main water is rains, which rarely occur in summer.
- On mainland Australia there is a single state with the same name. The country has a developed economy. It takes 13th place among the world economies. Judging by the remoteness and lack of land borders with other countries, this is a rather high indicator.
- Important areas of life, such as education, healthcare, freedom in the economic sphere and mores, are also at a high level. The most developed and largest cities are Melbourne, with a population of about 5 million people, and Sydney, with a population of over 5 million people.
- In the international arena, Australia is the Australian Union, with a form of government in the form of a constitutional monarchy. The head of state is considered Queen Elizabeth II. Nothing surprising, except Great Britain, the queen is the head of the monarchies in 15 independent countries, including Australia.
Interesting facts about the smallest mainland planet - the Australian continent
Although Australia bears the title of the smallest mainland, it is a beautiful continent with an interesting history and colorful local people. Therefore, we offer a look at the fascinating aspects about this continent.
- 40 thousand years ago, the continent was home to local Aborigines, they lived more than 330 thousand. Now it is only 1.5% of the total population.
- The capital of Australia is not Sydney, as you might think, but the small city of Canberra, with a population of only 300 thousand.
- Outside the state of Australia, about 25% of the country's citizens were born.
- Australia served as a prison for criminals, they were brought here for 200 years to serve a string. The number has grown to 160 thousand individuals, but at the same time in the territory of the modern state the law is rarely violated.
- Australians love poker and spend 20% of their spending on this game worldwide.
- The original name sounded like New South Wales.
- Australians go to the polls with pleasure, otherwise they face a rather big fine.
- Buy and sell here for their Australian dollars.
- The Australians built the longest fence on the planet, whose length is 5,530 km, and all so that the sheep are safe.
- Women live on average 82 years, men - 77 years, but indigenous Aborigines do not live long. On average, 20% less than all other residents.
- By the way, 60% are urban residents.
- Nicole Kidman is an Australian, as well as Hugh Jackman and Cate Blanchett.
- Australians smoke a lot, and this bad habit covers 21% of the total population.
- If you want to obtain citizenship of this country, then you need to live there for at least 2 years.
- Once there was a law that did not allow swimming on city beaches, and this ban lasted as long as 44 years.
- Sheep, popular on the Australian continent, took first place in the world, because their number is more than 700 thousand.
- Australia is very dangerous, because a huge number of poisonous creatures, snakes and spiders live on the territory.
- If you turn on the radio, you can stumble upon a wave of Joy radio. Since 1993, it has been working for people with a gay orientation.
- Fast kangaroos and cute koalas are locals in Australia.
- Australians are a sports nation, football, golf and tennis are popular here.
- Australians are also a cultural nation. They spend money on museums and exhibitions, not inferior in this European countries.
Australia, although a distant continent, but tourism is well developed here. Only a long flight is scary, without which it is impossible to do, and it will take a very long time to get across the water. But it's worth seeing Australia, because you can discover many new and interesting things.