Symptoms and causes of fear of people. Recommendations for the treatment of mental problems.
Phobia - This is a mental disorder that causes unreasonable fear and panic. The most unpleasant thing in this situation is that a person, even with a great desire, cannot control his emotions and begins to behave not quite adequately.
As a rule, people who have this problem when meeting with their fear begin to talk inconsistently, lose their orientation in space, or simply try to distance themselves as quickly as possible from the source that causes them fear and panic.
What is phobia called - fear of people?Anthropophobia: causes
Anthropophobia is a type of social phobia, which is expressed by the fear of people. And in this case, the sick person is not afraid of panic of the enemy or some kind of evil person, but of absolutely all those who are trying to get close to him. Most often, men and women suffering from this pathology do not have friends and do not fit well into the team. They prefer to spend their time alone and even go out for food and medicine only as a last resort. Of course, this does not mean that such people, in general, do not go outside.
They can go to work or sometimes for walks in the park. But at the same time they will do everything so that other individuals do not encroach on their personal space. That is, at the bus stop, they will stand apart from everyone else, and when they come to work, they will immediately sit down in their place and stop all communication attempts. Many psychologists believe that this phobia is most often formed in childhood. The reason for its appearance is not entirely pleasant circumstances. It can be a strong psychological trauma, violence, resentment against someone or even fear.
After experiencing all these unpleasant emotions and not receiving support from adults, the child simply closes in himself and begins to think that in this life you can not trust anyone. If parents do not notice the appearance of such psychological problems in their child, then becoming an adult, he will definitely try to distance himself from people. With this behavior, he will try to avoid stressful situations.
Fear of communicating with people, fear of talking - homilophobia: symptoms and treatmentHomilophobia: symptoms and treatment
Homilophobia - This is a phobia that manifests itself as a fear of communication with people. In this case, a person does not want to talk with unfamiliar men, women, and even children, because he is afraid to formulate his thought incorrectly and to be ridiculed by an interlocutor. This psychological illness can develop for many reasons.
This may be an unreasonable criticism of parents and grandparents, ridicule of classmates or peers, or an unsuccessful start to a very ordinary conversation. Also, a catalyst for the development of this condition can be an unsuccessful performance in public, as a result of which a person has heard many unflattering reviews.
Symptoms of homilophobia:
- Dry mouth
- Facial Expression Problems
- Incoherent speech (mumble)
- Redness of the skin
- Inadequate response to support
Of course, each person reacts differently to an unpleasant situation for him, so one may have all the symptoms at once, and the other may only have, for example, problems with facial expressions and dry mouth. The manifestation of the disease largely depends on what stage it is at. The longer a person lives with this problem, the more the patient’s organism will react violently to an irritant.
As for the treatment of this pathology, psychologists advise starting to correct a mental illness only after a person himself admits that he has problems. After that, he should gradually begin to learn to communicate with outsiders. To begin with, it can be correspondence on the Internet, and then you can proceed to communicate by phone.
Well, after the patient’s self-esteem rises a little, you can move on to more real contact, for example, you can try talking to people in a store, pharmacy or park. If you do everything right, then over time, a person will understand that communicating with strangers can be quite easy and the phobia as such will disappear by itself.
Haptophobia (athenphosmophobia) - fear of touching people: symptoms and treatmentHaptophobia: symptoms and treatment
As you probably already understood, haptophobia is nothing more than a fear of human touch. At the initial stage, close people do not even suspect that their household is developing some kind of problem. At first, this mental disorder is more like a very strong love of cleanliness or simply arrogance. Such an opinion may appear due to the fact that literally after every handshake or touch, a person runs into the bath and tries to wash off invisible traces from himself.
Of course, the inner circle perceives such behavior as disrespect and against this background, the separation of once close people begins. In fact, the patient can treat his interlocutor very warmly, just in every touch he sees a threat to himself, and that is why he is trying to get rid of the traces of touch.
Symptoms of haptophobia:
- Man avoids public places
- Gathers in spirit for a long time before giving a hand to the interlocutor
- Tenses at the slightest contact with a neighbor
- He rubs his hands all the time with wet wipes
- Unreasonable irritation and disgust is shown
This pathology is treated, as well as any other phobias for a rather long time, so you should not forget about your problem literally after the first session of psychotherapy. As a rule, at the initial stage, a sick person has to attend group therapy sessions.
And after the psycho-emotional state is stabilized a little, it will be possible to proceed to the so-called shock therapy. The essence of this treatment is that a person visits crowded places every day or goes to pair dancing classes.
Fear of large crowds, crowds - demophobia (ochlophobia): symptoms and treatmentFear of the crowd: symptoms and treatment
Demophobia is the pathology that very much interferes with a person's normal life. If it gets worse, then the patient may, in general, refuse to go out. Some patients with this mental disorder claim that they are not afraid of the very presence of people on the streets, but that too many crowds can cause injury or even crush them. It is for this reason that most often they move along poorly populated routes, trying not to approach the companies that meet on their way.
Symptoms of ochlophobia:
- Complete disorientation
- Heavy sweating
- Incoherent speech
- Hand tremor
- Nervous tick
It is difficult to get rid of this pathology, but it is still possible. First you will need to contact a specialist and undergo an examination. If the condition is very much aggravated, it is likely that you will be prescribed medication support. In the event that a mental disorder has not yet been deeply ingrained in your subconscious, then literally after the first visit to a psychologist, you can start corrective therapy.
To begin with, the patient will have to go out to people at the very minimum time (this may be a trip to the nearest store). When panic attacks become less aggressive, it will be possible to proceed to the second stage, visiting parks, markets and shopping centers. And after the discomfort disappears in these places, you can go down the subway.
Fear of looking people in the eye: how to get rid?Fear of looking people in the eye
Although this type of phobia gives a minimum of discomfort, you still need to deal with it. Indeed, if you do not look directly into the interlocutor’s eyes, then he might think that you simply do not want to have a dialogue with him.
- Exercise regularly. To do this, several times a day, stand at the mirror and try to look at your reflection for as long as possible.
- Give yourself the correct installation. You must realize that letting a person look and be dissatisfied does not harm you much.
- When communicating with a stranger, try to control your breathing and at the initial stage you can temporarily look at the bridge of the nose.
- Walking along the street, never look away from passers-by, especially if they first began to look at you. In this way, you will train a tenacious look.
- Train your peripheral vision. This will help you stay calm all the time, and you can look into the interlocutor’s eyes for as long as possible.
Fear of strangers, strangers - xenophobia: symptoms and treatmentFear of strangers, strangers
Until recently, xenophobia was considered a feature of character or mentality, so people with this problem were not considered sick. But recently, this disorder began to be considered a deviation, and psychologists began to try to correct the behavior of a person with such a problem.
Symptoms of xenophobia:
- Dislike for people of another nation or religion
- Reluctance to contact people with a different skin color
- Fear of collision with representatives of a certain group of people
- Panic when dealing with a person of another nation or skin color
Xenophobia is perhaps the only behavioral deviation that responds very well to correction. If a person has no other mental disorders and his emotional state is normal, then in order to get rid of this problem, you will need to visit just a couple of specialized trainings or group discussions.
As practice shows, if a psychotherapist manages to reach the subconscious of his patient, then he quickly becomes tolerant of representatives of different religious groups and foreigners.
Fear of old people - gerontophobia: how to get rid?Fear of old people
For most people, old age is associated with loneliness, health problems and a not very beautiful body. Of course, while we are young and full of energy, we think little about what will happen to us when we are 60 and 70. But still, no matter how good our life is by the age of 40, we begin to think more and more often about the inevitability of physical of death.
For some people, such thoughts become an obsession and they develop a mental illness called gerentophobia. People in whom this pathology progresses very quickly try to delay old age by all available means. Most often, they become regular patients of plastic surgeons, all kinds of healers and homeopaths. It seems to them that in this way they will be able to prolong their youth and, most importantly, delay their death.
- Take cognitive behavioral treatment
- Do breathing exercises
- Relax a couple of times a week.
- Watch positive films and read books that don't bother you
- Try to convince yourself that old age can also be beautiful
Fear of fat peopleFear of fat people
- As you probably already understood, modern man is quite susceptible to a variety of phobias. And some of us are looking for a problem where others do not see it. For example, some people for no apparent reason have a fear of fat men and women. Most often this is manifested by internal discomfort, squeamishness and unwillingness to come into contact with a person who is overweight.
- Now let's figure out what this phobia is based on. From childhood, an opinion has been imposed on us that only a thin and fit person can be considered beautiful. Therefore, if we see a fat person in front of us, then this immediately causes us negative emotions. Mentally healthy people calm down immediately after they move away from the object of irritation.
- Those same men and women who have not quite stable psyche, as a rule, get hung up on this and begin to shun fat people. As for how to get rid of this problem, you can do this with the right attitude. You must remember that fullness is not transmitted when touched, hugged and kissed, so if you talk with the little girl or just look into her eyes, then your weight will definitely not increase.
Fear of a specific personFear of a specific person
- The fear of a particular person is a specific phobia, which appears as a result of a fairly strong negative emotional stress. You can see or even just learn about some terrible act committed by a certain man or woman, and your subconscious mind will begin to project this situation on you, thereby causing a panic fear of someone you often think about.
- It is for this reason that when you meet this person you will feel quite strong discomfort, which will manifest itself with increased pressure, dry mouth and trembling limbs. If you notice such symptoms in yourself, then immediately seek help from a specialist. If you do not, it is likely that your phobia will progress and as a result you may even get paranoia.
Fear of red peopleFear of red people
Fear of redheads is nothing more than gingerphobia. In this case, panic in a person appears simply because he sees red hair. The most interesting thing is that because of intense fear, the patient may not even understand the man or woman in front of him. The only thought of a person prone to such a disease is the desire to distance himself as quickly as possible from the source of irritation. Psychologists to the end could not determine what is the cause of this problem.
Some argue that this is due to the bright color of the hair, others say that the behavior is due to the red-haired. But in order not to provoke this phobia, you must remember one thing - this disorder, like any other, requires immediate correction. Proper therapy will not allow the disease to worsen and in the shortest possible time will save you from the problem. If you do not treat gingerphobia, then it will develop into gingerism and then, along with fear, you will have a desire to do some harm to the red-haired person.
Fear of drunk peopleFear of drunk people
- This pathology, like most of our phobias, appears in our childhood. Most often, the cause of her appearance is the unbridled drunkenness of her parents or someone close to her. Scientists have proved that if a small child sees a strongly drunk and inadequate person in front of him every day, then this forms a lot of negative emotions in him that make themselves known when he grows up.
- Most often this is manifested by an aversion to people who drink. A person who has this phobia is simultaneously afraid and hates them. As a rule, this mental disorder manifests itself as closed, excessive suspiciousness and irritability.And most importantly, the patient will feel fear even if the alcoholic does not show aggression.
- If you want to get rid of the pathology in the shortest possible time, then find a qualified specialist who will help you put your emotions in order. If you learn to block the negative in the very initial stage of its inception, then it is likely, in general, will cease to respond to drunk people.
How to overcome fear of people - social phobia: reviews of the clinic for the treatment of depression and phobiasReviews about the clinic for the treatment of depression and phobias
Helena: Back in school, I realized that I get discomfort if more than 5 people gather near me. As a child, I tried to tell my mother about my problem, but she did not take it seriously, believing that in this way I was just trying to skip classes. Therefore, I had to live with my fear of people until a conscious age.
Having already married, she turned to a psychologist, and he helped me sort out what worries me. I attended five group sessions and at the moment I am quite calm about even a huge crowd of people.
Eugene: A few years ago I had serious health problems that I successfully resolved through surgery. Everything went well, I quickly recovered, but literally after discharge I had a panic fear that my household would again infect me with some kind of disease.
At the slightest ailment, I ran to the doctor, and after receiving good tests, I took out the brain for him and my relatives. As a result, the doctor himself suggested that I be examined by a psychotherapist. Having passed it, I found out that I developed carcinophobia, so I had to undergo a course of medical therapy.