In this article we will learn the basic rules of how to teach a baby to fall asleep on his own and sleep in his crib.
In order for the child and his parents to sleep soundly throughout the night, it is very important to teach the baby to fall asleep on his own. From the very birth, some parents teach him to sleep separately in their crib, while others prefer to lay the baby next to them. And on this occasion, many pediatricians and psychologists argue vehemently and for a long time. But still, to sleep with the child or not, it is up to the parents themselves. Although in any case, sooner or later, the baby must learn to sleep independently in his crib.
When to teach a child to sleep on his own?
You can teach your baby from an early age, guided by the rule, the sooner the better. But if the child is on the HB, and at the same time also sleeps with his parents, then laying the baby separately should be done after weaning from the chest. But remember, the older the child becomes, the more difficult it is for him to fall asleep separately, respectively, for parents too.
At a younger age they get used to their crib faster
Important: For self-falling asleep, a newborn baby is naturally small, but nothing prevents parents from working out a baby’s reflex sleep separately. But over time, you don’t have to listen to tantrums and wipe away tears, laying the child in another bed. Although this dilemma is already decided by each parent for himself. After all, the whole family should also get enough sleep. But delay longer than 1 year is not worth it.
There are such basic signs when the baby is ready to sleep independently and separately:
- as we mentioned, do it when the baby already weaned and safely forgot about her. That is, it took about 2-4 weeks. Indeed, for each child, this is purely individually transferred;
- he already sleeping all night or at least about 6 hours. But practice shows that the lack of need for breasts and pushes back frequent waking. If the baby is sleeping with a pacifier, then this will not give a guarantee that he will not wake up at night. After all, she acts on the principle of breasts. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with it, but not necessarily right away. It is not necessary for the baby to give two stresses at once;
- little clue - the child does not require the constant presence of mom and can walk in the room for at least 20 minutes on his own, then he is ready to sleep separately;
- and if he notices his mother’s absence, no matter the day or not, he does not throw tantrums and hail from tears;
- and he has already developed the concept of "mine."
But it’s worth a little time if you notice:
- the baby often wakes up at night, especially against the background of overexcitation of the nervous system;
- or does he painfully endure parting with his mother;
- premature babies may be more attached to mom;
- the same applies to children who received an inborn, or in the process of childbirth, trauma of any nature;
- when the baby is sick, of course, wait a bit;
- if you recently went to the garden, Do not rush to shift the baby. Perhaps the period of adaptation has not yet passed. The crumb path will depart from the first stress.
If you are expecting a second baby, then accustom to your crib before the appearance of a brother or sister
Important: If you are in an interesting position, and the tummy is already visible, then you should not teach your baby to sleep on his own. The fact is that children perceive this as the appearance of an opponent. After all, without him, the baby was sleeping with his mother. Therefore, in such cases accustom to your crib in the early stages of pregnancy.
Basic rules and rituals of independent falling asleep at different ages
No matter what age you are accustomed to fall asleep baby separately, an important role is played by a place to sleep. The bed must be adapted only for sleep. But if you first played in bed, then ate, and after trying to put the baby there, he might not understand why he was put in bed specifically. Therefore, it is best if in a berth, the child will only sleep, it is desirable at the same time to separate the parental bed and the nursery.
Where to start teaching your child to sleep on their own?
- First you need learn to determine when the baby really wants to sleep. Each person has his own rhythm, so you should not "crush" the crumbs on a schedule, just because it is necessary. You can rock the baby for hours, give a pacifier, etc. But if he does not want to sleep, then literally a couple of minutes after you put the baby in the crib, he will wake up. Accordingly, all efforts will be in vain.
- It is worth "familiarizing" with the crib. The baby will wake up in it, and eventually understand that this is the place to sleep. That is, if the baby falls asleep in your arms - there’s nothing to worry about, the main thing is that he wakes up in his bed.
- Therefore, for some time it will be necessary to "adapt" to the schedule of the child, and later, when the baby gets used to the bed, you can introduce your own sleep and wake mode into the crumbs. And this will help a certain ritual of falling asleep, for example, reading fairy tales or lullabies, stroking the back, etc.
How to teach to sleep on their own, if the crumbs up to 2 years?
- The laying process is also of great importance. It should include several points, for example, for a newborn baby, such a laying ritual will be enough:
- were bought;
- were like a column;
- laid in the crib.
- For older children, you can add reading fairy tales, dressing your favorite pajamas, choosing a toy for sleeping, turning on a nightlight, etc.
Do not back down from your goal
Important: One of the most working tricks for children about 1.5-2 years old is its space. That is, explain to him that he is already an adult and that he needs to sleep separately. Act on the principle of suggestion, gradually convincing the baby in the undoubted benefit of his room and crib.
- Before laying, you need exclude active games and activities. This can only excite the nervous system, after which the baby will be very difficult to calm and put to bed.
- You should not expect that the child will fall asleep immediately after you put him in bed. It is worth letting him decide for himself when to fall asleep. He can mess around in bed for a while, look out the window, etc. But you should not come and try to "persuade" him to sleep or to keep company. Children in this matter are persistent and can cover about 1.5-2 hours. But you too should not give up.
- If the baby is crying, do not immediately get it from the crib. This is especially true for older kids who already understand how to manipulate their parents with crying. You can come up and stroke the baby. Periodically go in or look into the baby’s room so that he understands that he was not abandoned.
Important: In general, it is worth suffering 3 days. In this period, stock up on sedatives and tolerate until the child calms down and falls asleep. No, if he just threw a tantrum, then this will already be a mockery of the baby. Separate just whimpering from actual crying.
- If the baby comes to you at night, then do not scold him and kick him back. Calmly find out what’s the matter, and then take him to the room and lie down for 30 minutes nearby until the baby falls asleep.
- Be prepared for what children will resort to you early in the morning. But do not lay them side by side in order to sleep longer. Early rises will need to endure for several days. Yes, and basking in bed before dinner is wrong.
If the child is already 3-4 years old, how to speed up falling asleep in your crib?
- At this age, they are still big manipulators. They already have the cherished "I want", for which you should find reasonable prohibitions. Don't just say no, always give an explanation.
- They can already come up with monsters in the closet or under the bed. Show your child that nobody is there by checking all angles carefully. You can leave the door open for the first time. But don't lead to your bed! And remember maximize the safety of the baby's crib.
- Also, at this age, minimize TV or computer watching, and you should completely forget about games even 1-2 hours before bedtime. Better read books or play educational games.
And if you are already 5-7 years old, how to teach to sleep separately?
- At this age, they can react very painfully to "moving" to their bed. Therefore, it is so important to do this as soon as possible. Be sure to choose important and enjoyable moment. For example, an important purchase in the room, or maybe the arrival of relatives.
- You can go for a trick using an authoritative person. Let him just ask the question a man whom he loves or respects greatly, about his own dream. After all, the baby is already an adult and he should have his own bed.
- Make this moment enjoyable so that the little one can look forward to it. For example, reading books or drinking tea with parents and delicious cookies. But there should always be an approximate scheme. And you can use the baby monitor for communication. If not, then use cups and thread. Arouse interest in the child.
- Do not send him to sleep under punishment! From this, he just won't love his bed even more.
- Praise him and reward him for his success. But do not bribe him with toys, let this be an encouragement in choosing. What he wants more is what fairy tale to read, or what toy to put, or who will read the fairy tale.
- Express pride in your baby. Praise him more not only in the family circle, but also to his grandmother, grandfather, or even his girlfriend. But let him hear it.
What can not be done when you teach your child to sleep on their own?
It is not particularly important at what age you decided to teach your baby to sleep in your crib, it is important to remember those things that are strictly forbidden.
- Scold the baby if he is crying. Better to remain calm and patience, showing an example of a crumb. Irritating behavior of parents directly affects the well-being of the baby.
- Do not threaten or beat a child. This behavior can completely discourage the baby from sleeping separately. And, in principle, it will be much more difficult for him to fall asleep.
- Ignore the baby completely. On the one hand, there is no need to be led to the cries and provocations of a child who is trying to attract attention. But on the other hand, this does not mean at all that you need to close the child in the room and completely forget about him. Periodically, you should go to him, and if the baby cries for a long time, then the baby is not yet ready for self-falling asleep.
Never yell at the baby
Important: Arm yourself with such an exemplary scheme. The first day, go to his room or just to bed after 5 minutes, every 2 minutes. That is, after 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15. The next day it will be 3 minutes, and after another day increase the interval to 4. Also wait more and the first visit. Well, in conclusion, there should be something like this scheme: 15, 20, 25, 30, control 30.
What to do if the child still does not want to fall asleep on his own: tips
According to many pediatricians, a healthy child cannot help but sleep very long, and in any case, sooner or later he will fall asleep. But if you are sure that your baby is completely healthy, and sleep problems do not go away and the baby refuses to sleep separately from his parents, then you need to look for a different reason.
- Maybe you improperly organized daily routine. For example, during the day, the baby does not move enough, walks little in the fresh air, and in the evening, on the contrary, behaves actively. Accordingly, it is quite difficult for him to calm down.
- He is hot or cold. Therefore, adjust the temperature in the room. By the way, the optimum temperature is about 18-20 ° C, and the humidity is not more than 70%.
- The kid is hungry or thirsty. But you should not "be carried on" if he asks for 3 portion in the evening. Kids often before bedtime they want to "drink-eat-toilet", just to delay time.
- The crumbs can have their teeth cut or their stomach hurt.
Monitor the schedule that should not change every day
Important: Even if the child is sick, then putting him back with you is not worth it. After all, then the whole process will need to be started anew.
Do not immediately panic and worry about the fact that the child does not want to sleep on his own. If this is a baby, then it is necessary to accustom him to sleep in his bed, because For a baby, abrupt weaning from mom can be stressful. Of course, this process requires patience and perseverance.
Important: If you have already begun to teach your child to sleep on their own, then do not deviate from the schedule. Always stick to the same time.
As you can see, it’s possible to teach a baby to fall asleep independently in his crib. The main thing is not to be led by the child on occasion, and with each cry run and take him in his arms. The faster you can teach your child to sleep separately and fall asleep without motion sickness yourself, the faster the parents themselves will begin to get enough sleep.